Friday, January 7, 2011

Prog Volume I end speculation.

Prog (volume) I, just so you know, is the codename for the Epic Quest in A Flat Minor. There's a pretty damn good chance that it will be the only volume, so now we're just keeping the name 'cause it sounds cool. "Prog I." I like it.

Anyway. The Epic Quest. I hope you guys are liking it so far. I'm really, really, really passionate about progressive rock, so I wanted to give it a proper tribute. Of course, being an insecure teenager, I realize (very, very much) how boring it is for most people to even listen TO some prog, let alone listen to people talk about it. I also remembered how much fun I had working on DCAHall3, and how.. surprisingly well that turned out. Even Act V. o.o So I decided to combine my passion for prog with my passion for writing, and.. yeah! I'm trying to make this progressive script as entertaining for non-prog fans as I can.

If you're wondering about the Gatekeepers, I really don't know where I'm going with them. xD But for once, that is entirely intentional. After all, in the old epics of yore (namely, The Odyssey, The Illiad, and the like), there were all kinds of beings that just sorta.. showed up inexplicably. Hell, even modern-day (musical) epics have them (like the Lamia, the Carpet Crawlers, even the eponymous lamb in "Lamb Lies Down," Narcissus n' the Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man in "Supper's Ready.." even the older man in "Metropolis part 2" wasn't exactly explained at all).
..so yeah, I'm using the whole "Those guys didn't need explanations" excuse. >.>

Oh. All this time, and I've yet to include the necessary "What the fuck is 'prog'" section. I haven't even explained it in the script yet. ..so here you go!

So what in the name of shitting fucksicles is "prog?"
Progressive rock, or "prog," is rock with classical/jazz influences. Or it might be rock that does not follow traditional song structure, nor traditional time signatures. It frequently has extended instrumental sections and.. concept albums, leitmotifs.. shit like that. It's not that easy to give an accurate description of prog, but it's sometimes called "art rock," and the common opinion on it involves "ten-minute space-rock solos."

IMPORTANT: THERE IS NO PROG SONG WITH A TEN-MINUTE SPACE-ROCK SOLO. EXCEPT FOR MAYBE "ECHOES." BUT THAT DOESN'T COUNT, 'CAUSE PINK FLOYD ISN'T PROGRESSIVE IN THE SLIGHTEST.

..OKAY, SO MAYBE THEY ARE.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT THING: EVERYTHING THE COMMON MAN KNOWS ABOUT PROGRESSIVE ROCK ONLY APPLIES TO PINK FLOYD, EXCEPT FOR "REALLY GOOD INSTRUMENTALISTS AND SINGERS." THAT DOES NOT APPLY. THEY'RE ALRIGHT. NOT MAGICAL, NOT SPECIAL, NOT UNIQUE, AND NOT PARTICULARLY ALL THAT GOOD.
..IN MY OPINION.

But, then again, I'm very strict about what I consider to be "good." THEN AGAIN, I'm one of the only people I know who thinks Dream Theater's "The Great Debate" is good. ...okay, I admit it, I don't exactly have the best of tastes in music. But at least I don't just like what others tell me to. I listen to all this shit, y'know. I listen to it, and I analyse it.

Um.. what was I talking about? OH YEAH. What prog is.

Here are some examples of progressive rock songs (Google 'em at your own risk):
"Cygnus X-I" and "Cygnus X-I Book II: Hemispheres," by Rush.
"The Fountain of Lamneth," also by Rush. "2112's" pretty proggy, too.
"Supper's Ready," "Watcher of the Skies," "Can-Utility and the Coastliners," "Get 'Em Out By Friday," all by Genesis.
..hell, most of Genesis' early work (from Trespass 'til Duke, I think) is progressive.
Most of Dream Theater's work, namely "Metropolis part 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper," "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence," The Twelve-Step Suite ("The Glass Prison," "This Dying Soul," "The Root of All Evil," "Repentance," "The Shattered Fortress"), Metropolis part 2: Scenes From a Memory.. yeah, most of their work.

..I'm feeling lazy now. xD Screw the prog explanation; let's get back to talking about DCA.

SO Act III was quite the departure in style from the first two acts, wasn't it? It focused a lot more on dreams, the perceptions of self-isolation, and mental problems. It even had guest-star ME in it again. I've been showing up a lot lately. o: That has to do with the "ulterior motives behind DCA" that has come up a couple of times, as well as with "the Unwritten End," as Coheed & Cambria put it.

To make it absolutely clear, I have reasons for wanting to end DCA, and they will become clear by the end of Season Seven. To kinda hint at stuff, I might possibly also be making a follow-up to DCAHall3's "Bound to a Stream of Consciousness." I dunno why I'm so obsessed with that entry. I guess.. 'cause it actually scared me, to write and read.

More definite news! Act IV of the Epic Quest will be dedicated to Dream Theater. Act V will be dedicated to Genesis. There may be the occasional other reference, but it'll mostly be two scripts filled with many tributes to my two favourite bands. :3

..so there. Look forward to seeing Shadow get the last two/three chaos drives.

No comments: